[DCRM-L] 1659 Tyrocinium chymicum

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Fri Feb 26 13:37:26 MST 2021

Hello, all,

I cataloged a 1659 edition yesterday of Tyrocinium chymicum (digital version here: https://www.google.com/books?id=1ek9JITDVIYC) and am curious about a couple of things.

First, does anybody know anything about the Geneva printer Blasius Le Melais? As far as I can tell this is the only book he printed. Second, he's using one of the Estienne devices on the title page (it looks like no. 18 in Schreiber, The Estiennes, p. 256)-is he related to the Estienne Geneva operation in some way (perhaps a descendant of an Estienne?) or did he just steal the mark? I don't think any Estiennes were active in Geneva in 1659.

Thanks,
Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
6728 Harold B. Lee Library