[DCRM-L] Linking multiple books with printed waste

Erin Blake erin.blake.folger at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 12:57:08 MDT 2021

Do you know which manifestation of the work the printed waste came from?
Actually, even if you don't, it could still be handled this way: create a
record for the printed waste, with a devised title beginning [Printed waste
from....] and access points for the Spinoza work. Someone searching for the
Spinoza will find a record for two extremely incomplete copies: "Bound with
[Call number for first book]" and "Bound with [Call number for second
book]". The bib record for the printed waste and the bib records for the
manifestations containing the printed waste could then be linked through a
787.

We haven't had that precise situation, but here's a similar one where we
used a 787 field to create reciprocal links, with "Records for related
material:" as the label:
https://hamnet.folger.edu/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?BBID=340195 (it's a copper
printing plate for a book illustration that links to the bib record for the
book, and vice versa).

Erin.

Erin Blake, Ph.D.  |  Senior Cataloger  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |
201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |  eblake at folger.edu  |
www.folger.edu
<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/-t5RCjRgpBtArRXC7R7_2?domain=urldefense.com>
  |  Pronouns: she/her/hers