[DCRM-L] Including Cataloging History information in public interface

Christine Megowan cmegowan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 09:00:31 MDT 2021

In most of the institutions where I've worked, if cataloguers' intials were
recorded at all, they were primarily used to track productivity and for
quality control, especially during training.

In light of recent conversations on prejudicial language in both resources
and catalogue records, however, I'm wondering whether a publicly visible
date of cataloguing might help to contextualize some of the language
appearing our records. Internally, it could certainly help to identify
records which are most likely to contain language which has not aged well.

Christine Megowan
(Cataloguing Librarian: Rare Books, Cardiff University | Llyfrgellyd
Catalogio: Llyfrau Prin, Pryfisgol Caerdydd)