[DCRM-L] Including Cataloging History information in public interface

Erin Blake erin.blake.folger at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 11:33:23 MDT 2021

Many changes to our OPAC records get done incrementally, or through
automation, so the machine-readable history of the record can be misleading
(which is one of the reasons I log out of my "Blake" account and into my
"BlakeGDC" account when making "Global Data Changes" -- If the ILS shows
that "Erin Blake" made an edit, it must have been something I was doing
consciously, record-by-record. If the ILS shows that "Blake Global Data
Change" it was a bulk update of some kind, so if the note says "Provenance:
Manuscript Ellen Smith" you can be pretty sure it used to say "Provenance:
Ms. Ellen Smith", and the change was part of a batch update to expand
abbreviations).

We track cataloger's initials in a non-displaying MARC 583 Action note
<https://folgerpedia.folger.edu/MARC_583_Action_Note>. Usually the
information is only administrative, but if the revision is a change that
would make a researcher returning to the same item wonder if it really was
the same item, we'll give details. Some examples:
583 __* |a *revised* |c *2020-05* |k *EB* |x *Title and description
reverted to Two gentlemen. Had been misidentified as the Tailor scene from
Taming of the Shrew in 2012* |2 *local* |5 *DFo
and
583 0_* |a *revised* |c *2020-07* |k *EB* |x *Former owner heading and note
changed based on info in MEI Owners of Incunabula database. Previously
"Olirocchi, Josephus Carolus Crotta" and "Carolus Crotta Olirocchi [?]"
* |2 *local* |5 *DFo
and
583 0_* |a *revised* |c *2017-02* |k *EB* |x *Other* |x *Updated
description of ART Vol. b72: 5 drawings are by Gravelot; previously all
were said to be by Hayman* |2 *local* |5 *DFo

As for catalogers writing blog posts about what they do.... that's exactly
what I'm supposed to be doing right now, but instead I'm advancing the
mission of the Folger Shakespeare Library by participating in a discussion
about special collections cataloging!

See https://collation.folger.edu/category/cataloging/ for Folger blog posts
with the "Cataloging" tag.

EB.

Erin Blake, Ph.D.  |  Senior Cataloger  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |
201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |  eblake at folger.edu  |
www.folger.edu
<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/-t5RCjRgpBtArRXC7R7_2?domain=urldefense.com>