[DCRM-L] Quick question on dimensions in DCRM(G)

Erin Blake erin.blake.folger at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 10:27:53 MDT 2021

Does "excuse my French" refer to the rude word you're about to say when you
realize that you hit "send" before editing the second example, so the two
options as sent are, in fact, identical?

The General Rule at 5D1.1 has the answer. "record dimensions in terms of
height x width and specify what was measured."

Assuming that the print was issued in a portfolio, your three choices
according to DCRM(G) would be

   1. record height x width of the support *and *the portfolio,
   2. record height x width of the image *and *the support *and *the
   portfolio
   3. record height x width of just the portfolio

The catch is that "height x width" is defined by the way the item is meant
to be viewed, so if it's a landscape-orientation print inside a
portrait-orientation portfolio (which would be pretty unusual) and you give
dimensions of more than just the portfolio, you would have something weird
looking like this:

300 // $a1 estampe dans 1 portfolio :$bimpression par jet d'encre en
couleur, sur papier vélin blanc ;$cimage 15 x 20 cm, feuille 26 x 34 cm,
portfolio 35 x 27 cm

Bonne journée, et bonne fin de semaine,

Erin.

Erin Blake, Ph.D.  |  Senior Cataloger  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |
201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |  eblake at folger.edu  |
www.folger.edu
<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/-t5RCjRgpBtArRXC7R7_2?domain=urldefense.com>
  |  Pronouns: she/her/hers