[DCRM-L] Tironian "et" revisited: not an ampersand

Jennifer K NELSON jnelson at law.berkeley.edu
Mon Sep 20 13:06:34 MDT 2021

Hi Erin,

We had the same discussion while writing DCRM(MSS) (that a Tironian sign
does not stand for an ampersand) and, in fact, gave an instruction more
along the lines implied in Julie's question.

0G8.2. ... Transcribe the Tironian sign (⁊) as a coordinating conjunction
in the language of the manuscript (e.g., “et” in Latin, “and” in English,
“und” in German, “et” in French), enclosing it in square brackets. However,
transcribe an ampersand as such, without enclosing it in
square brackets"

Jenny

--
Jennifer K. Nelson, Ph.D., MLIS