[DCRM-L] Tironian "et" revisited: not an ampersand

Jessie Sherwood jcsherwood at law.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 23 12:13:28 MDT 2021

 Granted, I had paleographical training, but the Tironian et (including the
crossed Tironian et) never looks like an ampersand or any other ligature to
my eye. It always looks like itself and nothing else. Absent contemporary
evidence that the two were, in fact, designed "to look reasonable either
way," I don't think that there's any reason to suppose they were. An
Anglophone may not be able to hear the difference between u/ou, but that
doesn't mean that a Francophone can't.

For me the difficulty of treating ampersands and Tironian ets as
interchangeable is simply that it, like the ways we transcribe
abbreviations generally, can be confusing to anyone who is familiar with
early books/texts but *not* conversant with DCRMB. Before I learned DCRMB,
I often found the titles given in the catalogue perplexing and unhelpful (I
still sometimes find them perplexing and unhelpful). We're not attempting
quasi-facsimile transcription, but we're still attempting a transcription,
so it's helpful if readers/researchers/users can figure out what we did and
what we didn't do (this is the guiding principle for diplomatic
transcription).

If we're worried about people getting confused by ampersands and Tironian
ets, why not just follow the rule set out in 0G8.2 and "expand affected
words to their full form and enclose supplied letters in square brackets."
Full stop. Leave out the exceptions for contractions (not least because all
but two of the examples of early contractions in appendix G aren't
contractions at all, but suspensions and sigla), the ampersand, and the
Tironian et.

Deborah, in answer to your question, yes, other Tironian notes are used in
printed texts as abbreviations/brevigraph.

jcsherwood at law.berkeley.edu