[DCRM-L] Cataloging Question - how to catalog differences in publisher's bindings

Sarah Stanhope sstanhop at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 13:12:12 MDT 2022

Good Afternoon All,

I have a cataloging question that is hopefully not too obvious. I have come
across this with mostly special collections items and am a bit unsure how
to properly catalog these types of books.

When you have two books with completely different bindings and the text
blocks are identical, would you add the binding information to a 563 and
add both items on the same record?

Are there any other fields/notes that you commonly add or would suggest? I
haven't really come across this scenario for items that have different
dimensions. Other than the binding (sometimes quite different and more
elaborate than the other), the text block and all the publication
information matches.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or can point me in the right
direction!

My sincere thanks,
Sarah Stanhope
Hirsch Library