[DCRM-L] Signature statements and replacing records

Huber, Seth huberse at missouri.edu
Thu Aug 18 10:35:37 MDT 2022

I'm still new to rare book cataloging and have a question about when to replace records. I am looking at OCLC# 4825198, Agenda, das ist, Kyrchenordnung, printed in Leipzig in 1540. The signature statement in the existing record seems to indicate that the description was based on an imperfect copy, with leaf S2 lacking, and the physical description identifies leaves numbered to LIII. The copy on my desk has leaf S2, and the leaves are numbered through LIIII. Since my copy is more complete, is it acceptable to update and replace the OCLC record, or should the signature statement only be edited locally? Thanks for any guidance,

Seth Huber
Technical Services Librarian/Head of Cataloging
University of Missouri-Columbia
huberse at missouri.edu<mailto:huberse at missouri.edu>
573-884-4648