[DCRM-L] MARC sources codes for RBMS Thesauri

Thu Feb 10 10:21:40 MST 2022

Thanks for this explanation, Lauren. I know there's been a lot of confusion.

______________________________
Deborah J. Leslie, MA, MLS | Senior Cataloger | Folger Shakespeare Library | 201 East Capitol St., SE, Washington, DC 20003 | djleslie at folger.edu<mailto:djleslie at folger.edu> | www.folger.edu<http://www.folger.edu> | Opinions her own

From: DCRM-L <dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu> On Behalf Of Lauren Reno
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2022 10:43
To: 'dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu' <dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu>
Subject: [DCRM-L] MARC sources codes for RBMS Thesauri

Hi All,

In anticipation of the upcoming transition to the integrated RBMS Controlled Vocabulary for Rare Materials Cataloging, the Controlled Vocabularies Editorial Group (CVEG) requested changes to the MARC source code list located here: https://www.loc.gov/standards/sourcelist/genre-form.html<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/PCJjC5ywNMClowYczBM9N?domain=loc.gov>. However, these changes will not be in effect until the formal publication of the new thesaurus this summer. As of now, the thesauri available here are valid for use: https://rbms.info/vocabularies/index.shtml<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/HgurC68xOMtWEZlc6T0b1?domain=rbms.info>

The code for the integrated thesaurus will be "rbmscv" and will be valid for use upon the publication of the RBMS Controlled Vocabulary for Rare Materials Cataloging via id.loc.gov<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/G_8AC73yPMHRvnjfBAVt8?domain=id.loc.gov>.

We requested the MARC Standards Office also add a note to the former codes. They added the following note: deprecated; use "rbmscv." However, these vocabularies and codes are valid for use until the transition to the integrated thesaurus.

Please feel free to email me with any questions.

Thanks,
Lauren

Lauren Reno (she/her)
Section Head, Rare Materials Cataloging
David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscipt Library
Duke University
lauren.reno at duke.edu<mailto:lauren.reno at duke.edu>