[DCRM-L] signature help for Dutch book

Sarah Hovde shovde at umd.edu
Tue Feb 15 07:03:24 MST 2022

Hello all,

I am seeking guidance on how to formulate a signature statement for a Dutch
volume from 1676. The work was first issued in 1675 under the title "G.
Brandts stoute geveynstheyt, in het opdragen of toe-eygenen van sijn
Arminiaense Historie..." and included a second component with distinct
title page "G. Brandts liefdeloose geest." It was re-issued in 1676 with a
new title page "G. Brandts geveynstheyt en liefdeloose geest"; some copies
(including the one I am working with) included the two original title pages
from the 1675 edition, in addition to the 1676 title page. Other than the
added title page and an errata page - see below - the texts are essentially
the same.

The STCN record for the 1676 edition (
https://picarta.oclc.org/psi/DB=3.11/SET=1/TTL=1/SHW?FRST=2) gives the
collation as* π1 *4(-*1) A-Q4 R1*. Several OCLC records for the 1676
edition have similar statements.

However, my copy has the following leaves in sequence:

1676 title page (unsigned)
1675 title page (unsigned, but assumed asterisk^1)
text page, signed asterisk^2
text page, signed asterisk^3
text page, unsigned but assumed asterisk^4, with catchword G. BRANDTS
R (an errata leaf, "Druck-Fauten te verbeteren")
A-Q^4 (main text, starting on A1/page fol. 1 with caption title G. BRANDTS
STOUTE GEVENSTHEYT... and ending on Q4/page 127 with blank verso)

The unsigned 1676 title page and R leaf are on printed on the same sheet,
and the asterisk^4 gathering is inserted within that bifolium

There are at least three digitized copies on Google Books: two copies have
the R1 page bound at the end (matching the STCN sequence above), while a
third has R1 following the 1676 title page with which it shares a sheet,
then the asterisk^4 gathering, then the main A-Q^4 text.
Given the four examples (3 digitized, 1 in hand) that I have, I wonder if
the R1 page was meant to be separated and bound as a separate leaf at the
end of the 1676 issue? (A Dutch OCLC record #64792789 for the 1676 issue
has the note "Met los toegevoegd blad R1 met Druck-Fauten," which might
support that assumption.)

Anyway, after this very long introduction, my question: How would I
formulate a signature statement for this edition, given the migrating R1?

(To additionally complicate matters, my copy is also the first title in a
bound-with! But I don't think that has had any other effect on the
collation.)

Many thanks,
Sarah

Google Books copy 1: https://books.google.com/books?id=lcHWBP5_efkC