[DCRM-L] normalized transcription questions. Spanish San/Santa

Noah Sheola sheola at bc.edu
Tue Feb 15 12:08:27 MST 2022

Hello all,
First question.
For the purposes of normalized transcription in Spanish, is san/santa
considered a title of honor and address? The rules say "Capitalize titles
of honour and address only when they are abbreviated: señor, Sr.; doctor,
Dr.; general, Gral". However, in most records, (mine included), the
prevailing practice seems to be to capitalize San/Santa in Spanish. Are we
doing it wrong? Or maybe san/santa is not a title of honor and address, but
is ... something different.

I know in French and Italian, an exception is specifically made for
saint(e), santo/a, which are lowercase if referring to a person, uppercase
if abbreviated or referring to a place or building. Is there no such
exception for Spanish?

Second question. In my work cataloging for a Jesuit Catholic institution, I
constantly encounter statements of responsibility that read, in effect "por
[name], de la Compañia de Jesus, y [other name] de la mesma Compañia".
Would you capitalize the second occurrence of "Compañia"? It seems to me
that only in the first occurrence is the word being used as a proper noun,
while the second occurrence is just referring back to it. But capitalizing
both occurrences is so widespread, I am struck by doubt every time I see
it. The same formulation, and variations on it, seem to occur in most other
languages I work with, of course. Very interested to hear your thoughts.
Thank you,
- Noah

--
Noah Sheola
Senior Special Collections Cataloging Librarian