[DCRM-L] normalized transcription questions. Spanish San/Santa

Noah Sheola sheola at bc.edu
Wed Feb 16 08:57:06 MST 2022

A little update. I did find what the Real Academia Española
<https://www.rae.es/dpd/may%2525C3%2525BAsculas> has to say on the first
question https://www.rae.es/dpd/may%2525C3%2525BAsculas (scroll way down to
6.8). If Google translate is not failing me, the san/santa title should be
lowercase, except when, by traditional usage, the title is functioning as a
proper name. This ruling is, well, I think squishy is the technical term,
but I can go with it. I suppose the exception would apply to many (most?
all?) of the saints named on the title pages of books I typically catalog.