[DCRM-L] normalized transcription questions. Spanish San/Santa

Wed Feb 16 16:11:48 MST 2022

Ha! The first thing I was going to suggest was to find out what Spanish-language catalogers do.

I concur that for most of what you typically catalog, the ‘san’ or ‘santa’ functions as part of the name and should be capitalized.

For your second query, on whether to capitalize the second instance of Compañia when it stands alone instead of part of the formal corporate name, it’s one of those little things that doesn’t matter very much in the end, but you save yourself cumulative tons of indecision (dare I even suggest angst) if you just choose one and stick with it. My gut reaction would be not to capitalize a stand-alone compañia.

However, I spend very little time with Spanish materials, and others more experienced might have a different response. One of the advantages of the DCRM-L community is that it’s possible for catalogers to establish a general convention of practice. What do other catalogers of Spanish materials do? And whatever it is, are you satisfied with it?

______________________
Deborah J Leslie, M.A., M.L.S. | Senior Cataloger | Folger Shakespeare Library | 201 East Capitol Street, S.E. Washington, DC 20003 | djleslie at folger.edu<mailto:djleslie at folger.edu> | www.folger.edu<http://www.folger.edu/> | Opinions her own

From: DCRM-L <dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu> On Behalf Of Noah Sheola
Sent: Wednesday, 16 February, 2022 10:57
To: DCRM Users' Group <dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu>
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] normalized transcription questions. Spanish San/Santa

A little update. I did find what the Real Academia Española<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/D_nZCzp4MAtrWXnH4nVP9?domain=rae.es> has to say on the first question https://www.rae.es/dpd/may%2525C3%2525BAsculas<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/D_nZCzp4MAtrWXnH4nVP9?domain=rae.es> (scroll way down to 6.8). If Google translate is not failing me, the san/santa title should be lowercase, except when, by traditional usage, the title is functioning as a proper name. This ruling is, well, I think squishy is the technical term, but I can go with it. I suppose the exception would apply to many (most? all?) of the saints named on the title pages of books I typically catalog.