[DCRM-L] Fund information, for the online catalog

Matthew C. Haugen matthew.haugen at columbia.edu
Wed Feb 23 15:05:40 MST 2022

These types of notes typically aren't displayed in our catalog, but when we
do, we have been using Holdings 541 $a for the fund name (541 1_ $c
Purchase; $a Fund name; $d Date.) . Though it's not an exact match as you
point out, it seems to be a better match than other fields, if we consider
the fund being the "source" of acquisition analogous to the donor of a
gift. More commonly, we record donor names in this subfield for gifts, but
in some cases the same person gave us their own books, as well as funds to
purchase additional items for the same collection in their name, so
this helps credit the person for both their gifts and funds in the same
place, while keeping the gifts and purchases somewhat separate. I suppose
the fund name is usually more institutionally relevant for public display
in our catalog than the name of the bookstore or wherever the book was
purchased from, but if needed, we could include both the source of purchase
(e.g. a particular dealer, bookstore, auction house, etc.) and the fund
name in the same subfield. Non-public fund information like acquisition
codes sometimes ends up in 852 $x. Whether a gift or purchase, the presence
of 541 1_ in the holdings currently generates an "e-bookplate" in our
catalog. Prompted by this discussion I looked into it, and I now see our
catalog indicates that such a purchase is a "Gift" even if the 541 $c
and/or 008/07 code indicates it was a purchase. The fund itself was a gift,
but I am now wondering if that display may be somewhat confusing or
contradictory.

Example: https://clio.columbia.edu/catalog/6197932

Matthew

--
Matthew C. Haugen
Rare Book Cataloger | Columbia University Libraries