[DCRM-L] Confirming 245 formatting for an Arabic & English book

Dobbs, Zoe zoe.dobbs at yale.edu
Thu Feb 24 06:52:57 MST 2022

Hi Abigail,

I’m not a native Arabic speaker, but I have some knowledge of Arabic and Arabic script cataloging. OCLC often messes up the formatting of right-to-left text, especially in fields with a mix of right-to-left and left-to-right. Sometimes I’ll get everything just right, and the moment I validate or produce the record the text gets re-ordered again! But if you right-click the field and uncheck “right-to-left reading order”, the field should look more normal, and you can export the record that way and it’ll hopefully be retained in your ILS. In cases where there is more right-to-left text in multiple subfields, you might have to fiddle around a bit more to get it to appear the way you’d like it to.
I hope that helps and I didn’t misunderstand your concern!

Best,
Zoe

--
Zoe Dobbs