[DCRM-L] Confirming 245 formatting for an Arabic & English book

Abby Connick abconnick at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 12:57:18 MST 2022

Hi everyone,

I am currently cataloging an artists' book that is in both English and
Arabic. I'm using what appears to be a good PCC record in OCLC, but I
wanted to confirm the formatting of the 245 field, as it seems a bit
strangely formatted to me. I have not cataloged in Arabic before, so I
would appreciate any assistance you can provide!

The OCLC record I'm looking at is #1082269335
(It's for Speaking Subaltern by Jinane Abbadi)

In the record, there are, of course, two 245 fields (one transliterated and
one with the original characters). The transliterated title looks correctly
formatted -- $a Speaking subaltern = $b Hibr mil 'al-fam : a response ... ,
but the other 245 has the subtitle (all in English) in $a, the title (both
English and Arabic) in $c, and the author in $b. Now, since there are
Arabic letters in the field, the text could be read from right to left
instead of left to right...but that still looks incorrect.

Am I crazy for thinking this is wrong? Any advice on this would be
appreciated!

Thank you!

Abigail Connick
Rare Books Technical Services Project Librarian at Smith College
(but using my personal email)