[DCRM-L] German terminology for printings, impressions vs editions

O'Brien, Iris Iris.OBrien at bl.uk
Thu Jan 20 09:15:59 MST 2022

"Eindruck" is a German translation for "impression" but it is not used literally as a printing term. It is used in phrases like "Ich habe den Eindruck, dass" (I have the impression that); "einen guten Eindruck machen" (making a good impression); "einen guten Eindruck hinterlassen" (leaving a good impression), etc.

Both editions of "A manual of European languages for librarians" can be "borrowed" for free for an hour on archive.org.

Kind regards,

Iris O'Brien

Iris O'Brien
Early Printed Collections Cataloguing and Processing Manager
The British Library
St Pancras
96 Euston Road
London