[DCRM-L] MARC 561 and 562

Double, Amanda Amanda.Double at education.tas.gov.au
Wed Jul 13 17:20:14 MDT 2022

Hi Francis and Maria,
We do this as well - using 561 to record all the provenance information (along with 700s for $eformer owner), and 562 to record other copy-specific information such as the number of a limited edition, the presence of stamps, author's signature, as well as provide more information about any inscriptions briefly noted in the 561, e.g.

561 1# Copy owned by Cecil Fenn Charles Parsons (known as Charles Parsons) and generations of the Parsons family before him. Originally presented to Tobias Rustat by King Charles II in 1664, with his inscription on the flyleaf. Tobias' eldest daughter Mary married a linen draper, Henry Parsons, in St Martins in 1715. One of his four sons, Michael, had a son John Weddell Parsons (1754-1825). One of John's sons was Charles Octavius Parsons (1799-1863), who "emigrated to Tasmania in 1823 and went into sheep-farming. His family there now have Tobias Rustat's bible and prayer book which was inscribed by Charles II..." (Source: Tobias Rustat : the very best of royal servants / Philip Lewin.)

562 ## Copy inscribed in black ink: "The Gift of His Majesty Charles the 2nd. King of Great Britain, to Mr. Tobias Rustat - Particeps bonorum Aeq: Malorum: Quid Retribuam? Anno Salutis 1664 An: Restorationis 4to." An ardent Royalist, Rustat is said to have saved the Duke of Buckingham's life during an uprising in Kent, and assisted Prince Charles's flight after his defeat at the Battle of Worcester. Later Rustat was appointed Yeoman of the Robes, continuing in this position until the death of Charles in 1685.

Regards,
Amanda

Amanda Double | Librarian | Cataloguing
Collection Development | Libraries Tasmania
91 Murray Street, Hobart, Tasmania 7000
(03) 6165 5578 | www.libraries.tas.gov.au<http://www.libraries.tas.gov.au>

Please note I work Mon, Wed & Thurs

Libraries Tasmania recognises the deep histories and cultures of the Aboriginal people of lutruwita/Tasmania. We acknowledge Tasmanian Aboriginal people as the traditional and continuing custodians of the land, waters and sky. We pay respect to the Elders, past and present who hold the memories, traditions, culture and knowledge of Country. We extend our respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples whose Countries were never ceded.

[cid:image001.png at 01D8975E.8F774CF0]<https://libraries.tas.gov.au/>