[DCRM-L] RBMS Controlled Vocabulary for Rare Materials Cataloging Public Review

Bychowski, Brenna brenna.bychowski at yale.edu
Fri Mar 25 06:30:56 MDT 2022

*Please excuse cross-posting.*

On behalf of the Controlled Vocabularies Editorial Group, we are happy to announce the completion of the beta version of the newly integrated RBMS Controlled Vocabulary for Rare Materials Cataloging (RBMS CVRMC), and we are inviting your feedback. RBMS CVRMC is a linked data thesaurus that combines the former RBMS Thesauri (Genre, Binding, Type, Printing and Publishing, Paper, and Provenance) into a single resource with a redesigned structure. It is hosted by the Library of Congress Linked Data Service at https://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/rbmscv.html.

During the integration project, all terms in the thesauri were reviewed. Some terms have been slated for deletion and some terms have changed form, but the most dramatic change is to the organization, not to the terms themselves. We are aware that many terms still lack scope notes, and this can make it difficult to judge the hierarchy. Going forward, writing scope notes will continue to be a priority for the committee. Adding additional terms was also out of scope for the project; once the RBMS CVRMC is live, we will reopen submissions for new terms.

The beta thesaurus also includes draft terms from the Controlled Vocabulary Prejudicial Materials working group. These terms are identified with the note, "Provisional term proposed by Controlled Vocabulary Prejudicial Materials Working Group, [date], pending review." These terms are not under review at this time; they will undergo a separate review process later in 2022.

We encourage you to submit comments, suggestions, and other feedback during the public review of the text, March 25-May 20, 2022. Please submit your feedback using this Google form:

https://forms.gle/hndFhN8hgbHyDNVNA

Note that all fields on the form are optional, and the form may be submitted more than once. All documents linked from the survey (including the introduction, spreadsheet of new hierarchies, and list of terms proposed for deletion) can be found here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15FY0v_FcPFK56OTim1vmnTJR6teZJAf4?usp=sharing.

During the review period, members of CVEG will also hold a live public forum via Zoom:

  *   April 20, 2022, 11:30 pm PST / 12:30 pm MST / 1:30 pm CST / 2:30 pm EST

The session will be 90 minutes and will include a presentation on the RBMS CVRMC and time for discussion and questions. More details will be provided closer to the event.

We look forward to your feedback and engagement.

Best,

Brenna Bychowski & Lauren Reno, co-chairs, Controlled Vocabularies Editorial Group