[DCRM-L] Cataloging a Manuscript Fragment That's Been Reunited with Its Original Codex

Rebecca Flore rflore at uchicago.edu
Mon Jun 26 15:18:41 MDT 2023

Hi all,

My library recently acquired a manuscript leaf that at some point in its history was removed from a codex manuscript that we hold. For anyone whose library has reunited two parts of the same manuscript like this, how did you handle the cataloging? Did you catalog them as two separate resources, or did you catalog them as a single resource with a note about how the number of physical units of the manuscript in hand differs from the number of units originally produced? In terms of physical arrangement, we plan to shelve the leaf and the codex next to each other, with the leaf in its own box.

Best wishes,

Rebecca

Rebecca Flore, PhD
Special Collections Metadata Librarian
Hanna Holborn Gray Special Collections Research Center
University of Chicago Library
rflore at uchicago.edu<mailto:rflore at uchicago.edu>
773-702-7602
https://www.lib.uchicago.edu/scrc/