[DCRM-L] weird ? in resource

Sprochi, Amanda K. sprochia at missouri.edu
Fri Mar 1 10:26:51 MST 2024

Sorry everyone, I wasn’t clear. The weird ? appears in the resource, not the OCLC record—I’m doing an original for this as no one else has quite the same edition. It’s interesting to think that they may be emulating manuscript practice, although I’ve never seen a ? in the mss I’ve cataloged, they are usually specific abbreviations for specific combinations of letters. I was just wondering if anyone ran into the use of the ? in a resource to indicate, well, wildcards we’d call them now. I’m wondering if this is widespread, particularly French, or particularly this publisher.
aks

Amanda K. Sprochi, MA, MLIS, AHIP
Cataloger/Librarian IV
University Libraries
The University of Missouri
60 Ellis Library
520 S 9th St
Columbia, MO  65211
(573) 882-0461
sprochia at health.missouri.edu<mailto:sprochia at health.missouri.edu>
she/her/hers

The University of Missouri  occupies the
traditional land of the Osage, Kiikaapoi,
Peoria, and Očhéthi Šakówiŋ peoples.