[DCRM-L] weird ? in resource

Jessica Grzegorski grzegorskij at newberry.org
Fri Mar 1 10:57:23 MST 2024

Hi Amanda,

I have cataloged a large number of early modern maps and atlases over the years, and I have seen the question mark used as a mark of abbreviation many times in 18th-century French maps and atlases. It seems to appear within engraved text rather than letterpress, as it does in your example and the additional one that Erin shared. I also think Erin is on to something with the theory that the "?" is emulating a mark of suspension from manuscript culture.

Considering that this practice appears in French atlases, I'm also curious about how widespread it was among French publishers and engravers, at least among those in the map publishing trade. I can't easily find examples in our collection here, since I've transcribed all of those "?"s as periods!

Best,
Jessica