[DCRM-L] weird ? in resource

Joseph Ross jross at nd.edu
Fri Mar 1 11:27:17 MST 2024

>From Karlsruhe Virtual Catalog I was able to download a pdf of this
publication from BNF Gallica..  The question mark appears not only on the
title page to represent [inaire], but it also appears throughout the atlas
in statements of responsibility for geogr ? [graphe]   and ord ?
ord[inaire].  The words are sometimes spelled out completely and other
times appear with a ?.  As the pages are engraved,  I think it is a
peculiar pattern for this publication and not a general  practice.  French
catalogers will either enter it in their catalog records as ord?  or as
ord[inaire].

I hope this helps.

Joseph Ross
Rare Books Cataloger at University of Notre Dame, retired