Fwd: Comments on DCRM(S)

Robert L. Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Fri Feb 9 10:49:22 MST 2001

I am forwarding Judy Kuhagen's comments on DCRM(S) for discussion on the
list. I am not forwarding the attachment, which is the same as the body of
the message. If anyone would prefer to have the attachment (WordPerfect
format), please let me know.

Bob

>Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 08:44:41 -0500
>From: Judith A Kuhagen <jkuh at loc.gov>
>Subject: Comments on DCRM(S)
>To: robert_maxwell at byu.edu
>
>Bob,
>         Attached (same text in the message below if you can't handle
>WordPerfect) are comments on the current draft of DCRM(S).  Jerry
>Wager has been forwarding to me the related postings on your list.
>         In the past when Jane and Juliet had shared their drafts with
>me, I sent comments directly to them.  This time Jerry suggested I
>send my comments to you for possible posting on the list.
>                         Judy
>

>Comments on DCRM(S) draft
>

>General comments:
>         Inconsistency in presenting MARC 21 content designation in
>examples
>         When giving MARC 21 content designation in examples,
>inconsistency in including "$a" (should always use MARC 21 style, not
>OCLC or another specific style)
>         When citing AACR2 rules, say "AACR2" since you also make
>reference to other  provisions in your manual.
>         0E has the general instruction to use square brackets when
>supplying information.  That instruction is repeated in some sections
>in every separate provision but then doesn't appear in some provisions
>(4B4 and 4B5 in contrast to the other 4B provisions).  Is it necessary
>to mention square brackets every time?  If so, do so consistently.
>         Consider general statement comparable to 0J in DCRM(B) ---
>then won't need to give in separate provisions, e.g., 3B1, 3B2.  Also,
>I don't see the exception in DCRM(B) 2B1 given in DCRM(S).
>         Depending upon your publication schedule, remember that there
>will be a revised AACR2 chapter 12 published as part of the 2001
>amendments (probably in early 2002).  Joint Steering Committee for
>AACR will meet in April and September 2001.
>

>0A.1.  Replace "catalog a work serially" with "catalog a work as a
>serial" and replace "treat monographically" with "treat as a
>monograph."
>
>         Last sentence may be confusing to catalogers.  Consider
>something like "For serials with volumes that have analyzable titles,
>such as dime novels or auction catalogs, consider creating monograph
>analytic records.
>
>0A.2.  Are you supplying content later or did you mean to delete this
>provision?
>
>0C.  Re:  your "Note."  Later discussion by JSC has not resulted in
>elimination of concept.
>
>0C1.  I think you're confusing "chief source of information" with
>"basis of description."  The chief source of information is the source
>within the issue that is the source of the title proper; for printed
>textual material, that is the title page or the title page substitute.
>  Basis of description refers to using the earliest vs. the latest
>issue; it isn't a matter of deciding which issue is going to be the
>chief source (your third sentence).
>
>         To what category does provision "normally, however the chief
> [...]

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Cataloger
6430 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801) 378-5568