DCRM(S) pt. 0

Robert L. Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Fri Jan 19 10:21:04 MST 2001

I was going to send my comments on the new serial rules just to Jane and
Juliet, but then it occurred to me that this would be a good way to kick
off a new season on DCRB-L and my own comments might generate more (I
hope!). So I will send a series of messages (each covering one section)
this morning with my thoughts on the serials rules. In case anyone has
forgotten the URL, here it is:

http://www.library.yale.edu/conser/documents/dcrs.html

0A. This is a useful summary of why rare serials merit different treatment.
I suggest that perhaps a little more might be useful. You say that rare
cataloging rules are important because (a) they permit ready identification
of copies and (b) they provide a more exact description of the artifact. It
might be useful to explay *why* we think these two functions of rare rules
are important and necessary. Who cares? Why should a "regular" serials
cataloger care about these two things? Anyone on  dcrb-l care to defend our
position that these things are important and suggest succinct language for
DCRM(S) to this effect (we could also use such language in DCRM(G))?

0A.1 treatment of annuals. The rule appears to say that if an annual is
published more than once a year it should be treated monographically? This
doesn't make intuitive sense to me. Many periodicals are published more
than once a year. Isn't the fact that an "annual" is published more than
once a year simply evidence that it's not an annual, but not evidence that
it's not a serial?

0D. The field chart looks useful, but I would give the actual MARC 21 name
for the fixed field positions rather than the OCLC (??) codes. E.g.,
instead of "PUB ST" for 008/6, use "Type of date/Publication status".

0E. I realize you are copying this from DCRB, so I guess you need to keep
track of the moving target, but instead of "period" I would use AACR2 "full
stop" here (cf. your own 3A1, where you use "full stop").

Bob
Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Cataloger
6430 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801) 378-5568