DCRM(S) pt. 3

Robert L. Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Fri Jan 19 11:27:28 MST 2001

http://www.library.yale.edu/conser/documents/dcrs.html

3A1 3rd sentence. What if there is only one issue? For instance, suppose a
serial began, clearly expecting to be a serial, but never published
anything beyond the first issue. Would it make sense to add to the sentence
beginning "Follow a numeric ..." the phrase "unless there is only one issue"?

General note on the hyphen following the date of first issue. There are
numerous examples throughout this section that do not have the hyphen.
These need to be corrected.

3A2. Why is the word "identify" in quotes? They seem to be gratuitous.

3A3. I gather the words "in the form in which they appear" includes the
concept "do not abbreviate", but in my opinion you should be explicit about
this because it differs from AACR2. I suggest you simply add the sentence
"Do not abbreviate." after the general sentence.

Second paragraph of 3A3, second half of the first sentence ("but the exact
transcription ...") should be restated in the imperative, as is the style
of the rest of the rules: "Optionally, transcribe the designation exactly."
Do you want to require a note if the information is transposed? In the
examples below this paragraph, I suggest you use the same serial so that
the cataloger can better compare what it would look like with and without
conventional punctuation. In fact, it would be useful if all three examples
in 3A3 were from the same serial, to contrast the different possible
treatments.

3B1 & 3C1. I note you do explicitly say not to abbreviate here. This might
better be moved to the preliminary rule (see my comment at 3A3). Should the
examples have MARC designation (just a reminder--I notice that throughout
the rules about half have MARC designation, half don't)

3B3. You already gave the bracketing conventions in the preliminary rule, 3A4.

3B4. New description is mentioned both in 1B5 and 0C3. See my comments on 1B5.

3C1. In choosing the chronological designation the cataloger is told to
"consider" the type of date given, but then is instructed to "choose the
designation that provides the most complete information." I may be
misunderstanding, but I don't see how the type of date has anything to do
with the completeness of the information. Why should the cataloger consider
the type of date if in the end he/she is going to base the decision on
completeness of information? In any case this rule is confusing, at least
to this cataloger ...

3E1. Should there be a space after the equals sign in the example?

3F1. Why is there a period at the end of the second example and not at the
end of the first?

3G1. Example please!
Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Cataloger
6430 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801) 378-5568