DCRM(S) pt. 5-7

Robert L. Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Fri Jan 19 12:30:11 MST 2001

http://www.library.yale.edu/conser/documents/dcrs.html

5C1. Do you want to note that the AACR2 abbreviations *should* be used in
this area, since in so many other areas we are NOT abbreviating? E.g.,
facsim., geneal. tables, ports.

5D3. I suggest that rather than give a cutoff date, you speak in terms of
the materials and process of making the serial. For example, you might word
the rule to say "For publications issued on laid paper ..."

6. An example would be useful-- "This is a series: ..." "This is not a
series. Rather, it is other title information: ..."

7A paragraph 4. I suggest "Notes *should* be made ..." rather than "Notes
*may* be made ..."

7B3. Quotations. "...unless that source is the title page", taken from
DCRB, might not make as much sense in the context of a serial. Which title
page? How about " ... unless that source is the chief source" instead?

7C. We are prescribing order of notes here, as DCRB and AACR2 do. I would
like to be radical here and suggest we scrap this, replacing it with
something like "Give notes in order of importance according to the
cataloger's judgment." The rule as written doesn't make much sense in the
MARC environment because (a) many of the things called "notes" in the rules
are actually given in MARC in fields other than 5XX; and (b) local system
display decisions remove much of the control catalogers have over the order
the notes appear in anyway. Examples of (a): the note prescribed in rule
7C1, to be the *first* note, is not given in a note field at all, but in
310/321. 7C4 notes would be given in 246 fields, including the local
binder's title note (246 with $5). The note in 7C5 might well also be given
in a 246. 7C8 notes are given in 76X-78X fields. Given all this, I think as
a practical matter prescriptions in the rules about the order things should
be in are pretty meaningless.

7C9. The word "title-page" should be abbreviated to "t.p." in the note in
accordance with standard practice in catalog notes.

7C12. I suggest you give the four required references in their Standard
Citation forms (with perhaps a footnoted explanation of what the citation
forms stand for--fuller bibliographical details for each of these would be
useful, anyway):

Nelson & Seccombe.  Brit. newspapers and periodicals, 1641-1700
NCBEL
Evans

Hoffmann is not in Standard Citations, so I suggest you declare what the
"official" form should be here so we are all doing it the same.

7C15. Why not fill out the example?

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Cataloger
6430 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801) 378-5568