[DCRB-L] Honing "subjects" to aid our e-discussion

Jain Fletcher jfletchr at library.ucla.edu
Thu Dec 12 11:01:00 MST 2002

Hi, everyone,
  By now we're all familiar with the fact that on DCRB-L we like to
preface our subject lines with the topic being addressed.  This
usually helps people find a message in their inbox queue or know
whether they need to respond immediately--or whatever.  With the
current discussion, I noticed that the specific topic is getting lost
in my inbox "menu" because of the length of the topic name.  (This
probably depends on our differing e-mail software, but I am sure others
are in the same boat.)  For instance, mine show up this way:  "[DCRB-L]
General principles...." or "Re: [DCRB-L General princi.....". What I
suggest is that we abbreviate as much as possible so that the "thread"
we are addressing will be readily seen in everyone's inbox menu.  My
idea is this:  there are 6 working groups working on different
topics and I believe their order has been set and "published".  So, for
instance, by using WG to stand for Working Group (or, T for Topic) and
a number for the order, then WG4 (T4) would be "Collection-level
cataloging". Following that could be a brief description of the
"thread" being addressed, much of which would show in our menus.  How
does this sound? Also, if the order of Working Groups hasn't been made
clear (to DCRB-L, I can't remember), then perhaps we could ask Deborah
to send us a short message with just that info in it.
					Thanks for listening, Jain

Jain Fletcher
Head, Technical Services Division
Dept. of Special Collections