[DCRB-L] FW: Consistency TF: Area 2 analysis -- 2nd draft

Jane Gillis jane.gillis at yale.edu
Tue Nov 19 09:11:58 MST 2002

AACR2 was the first set of rules that included special rules for rare book
cataloging.  AACR did have simplified rules for incunabula (which were very
much like the simplified rules for incunabula in the ALA Catalog rules,
preliminary American second edition of  1941).  In fact, most if not all,
rare book catalogers used the 1941 rules until BDRB appeared.  Neither the
1949 rules nor AACR were considered adequate for rare book cataloging.  It
seems that the JSC tried to make AACR2 a one-stop shopping place for all
printed material cataloging, but it did not work.  When the draft rules
appeared, no one was happy with the "Rules for Early Printed
Monographs".  BDRB (and DCRB) could be considered LCRI's to these special
rules.

If the JSC decided to delete  the Rules for Early Printed Monographs from
AACR2, I would not be upset.  It appears the rules have not been "in sync"
with either AACR2 or DCRB for awhile. There is a question as to whether or
not anyone, anywhere, even uses these rules.  If anyone does, what have
they been doing for the past 10 (or 20?) years.

 From Bob Maxwell's comment:

"Note that scrutiny is being given at this very moment to the Early Printed
Monographs rules in AACR2; I therefore reiterate that the revision of DCRB
does need to keep an eye on these as it goes about its work with one
possible outcome of suggesting rule revisions to AACR."

Am I understanding this correctly:

The JSC updates AACR2.
DCRB, which is really an LCRI for the Early Printed Monographs rules, is
revised and morphed into DCRM(B).
Any differences  between AACR2 and DCRM(B) requires that Bib Standards
suggests rule revisions to AACR2 Rules for Early Printed Monographs.  What
happens if the JSC does not agree with the revision suggested by Bib
Standards?  Is DCRB/DCRM(B) an amplification of the Early Printed
Monographs rules in AACR2 or are the rules in AACR2 a condensation of
DCRB/DCRM(B)?

Jane