[DCRM-L] Glossary Terms

Tue Jan 11 12:41:07 MST 2005

Yes, I think the definition of "perfect" ought to suggest a complete
copy as issued by the printer. In my mind, binding errors doesn't make a
copy imperfect. Yet there has to be something of that idea in the
definition so that when we tell a cataloger to base the description on a
perfect copy, she knows to base it on her copy as if it were correctly
bound.

________________________
Deborah J. Leslie
Folger Library
djleslie at folger.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-admin at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-admin at lib.byu.edu] On
Behalf Of elizabeth l. johnson
Sent: Tuesday, 11 January, 2005 10:50
To: dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu
Subject: [DCRM-L] Glossary Terms

I think the definition of "Perfect copy" goes too far in stating that a
perfect copy is free of errors in printing.  The definition should be
limited to the physical structure of the book and to the completeness of
its contents as the third sentene of the definition states.  Many
perfect
copies have printing errors.

Elizabeth Johnson