[DCRM-L] DCRB Core

Shiner, Elaine shiner at humnet.ucla.edu
Wed Mar 1 14:56:00 MST 2006

I haven't read Windy's study yet, but I'd like to comment about the fact
that a lot of records coded "core" actually meet standards for full
level.  I've experimented with using the DCRB core standard for some of
my books, with the addition of a signature statement.  When I do this, I
often start out coding for core, with the best of intentions, but end up
adding a note or two I hadn't planned on (because it's easy, or because
I'm lacking in the requisite self-discipline), and then I find myself
wondering whether I've reached full level.  It seems easy to know when
you've fulfilled the requirements for core, but somehow harder to
recognize when you've passed beyond core to full level, probably because
the requirements for full-level vary, depending on the book in hand.  I
actually find this to be a problem with using the DCRB core standard.
Maybe I just need to review the books core standards, and keep more
clearly in mind all the ways they differ from full level.

Further, eliminating optional notes in the DCRB (or DCRM(B)) standard
should not technically affect whether cataloging is full-level or not,
should it?  Yet eliminating optional notes is one of the main
recommendations of the DCRB core standard.  I wonder how many rare book
catalogers may code a record "4" as a way of letting colleagues know
that options have not been taken; that is, the  record may be
technically full level, but falls far short of the treatment they would
like to give the book.  That's not what the DCRB standard is for, yet I
myself feel tempted to use it that way.

Elaine Shiner, Head Cataloguer

William Andrews Clark Memorial Library

Email: shiner at humnet.ucla.edu