[DCRM-L] DCRB Core

Wed Mar 1 15:10:16 MST 2006

Thanks, Elaine. It was in the back of my mind that most of the DCRB and
DCRM(B) notes are optional, as you say, so the distinction between full
and core may be hard if not impossible to pin down.

________________________

Deborah J. Leslie
Folger Library
djleslie at folger.edu

	-----Original Message-----
	From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu
[mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Shiner, Elaine
	Sent: Wednesday, 01 March, 2006 16:56
	To: DCRM Revision Group List
	Subject: RE: [DCRM-L] DCRB Core

	I haven't read Windy's study yet, but I'd like to comment about
the fact that a lot of records coded "core" actually meet standards for
full level.  I've experimented with using the DCRB core standard for
some of my books, with the addition of a signature statement.  When I do
this, I often start out coding for core, with the best of intentions,
but end up adding a note or two I hadn't planned on (because it's easy,
or because I'm lacking in the requisite self-discipline), and then I
find myself wondering whether I've reached full level.  It seems easy to
know when you've fulfilled the requirements for core, but somehow harder
to recognize when you've passed beyond core to full level, probably
because the requirements for full-level vary, depending on the book in
hand.  I actually find this to be a problem with using the DCRB core
standard. Maybe I just need to review the books core standards, and keep
more clearly in mind all the ways they differ from full level.

	Further, eliminating optional notes in the DCRB (or DCRM(B))
standard should not technically affect whether cataloging is full-level
or not, should it?  Yet eliminating optional notes is one of the main
recommendations of the DCRB core standard.  I wonder how many rare book
catalogers may code a record "4" as a way of letting colleagues know
that options have not been taken; that is, the  record may be
technically full level, but falls far short of the treatment they would
like to give the book.  That's not what the DCRB standard is for, yet I
myself feel tempted to use it that way.

	Elaine Shiner, Head Cataloguer

	William Andrews Clark Memorial Library

	Email: shiner at humnet.ucla.edu