[DCRM-L] DCRB Core

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Wed Mar 1 16:24:13 MST 2006

Since we're discussing how people use core, the only reason I sometimes
code a DCRB record core is if I do not want to supply a call number,
i.e., if the record is for a pamphlet or broadside and we're just going
to put it in an accession number arrangement here. Everything else about
the record is full, but the availability of DCRB Core allows me to
contribute the record as a PCC Bibco record without adding a call
number. I don't do this very often (if the call number is very simple to
construct I'll often add one anyway even though we're not going to use
it at BYU and then I code the record as PCC full). So when I use core
I'm not particularly thinking of how I might pare down the record; it
just allows me to contribute a record without including one of the
required fields for book core (the call number).

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian
Genre/Form Authorities Librarian
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602