[DCRM-L] DCRB Core

Stephen Skuce skuce at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 1 17:33:54 MST 2006

I have to say I've always questioned, on some level, how genuinely useful
the core standards are, in practice.

At MIT, we discussed at length, and ended up dismissing, the use of
"regular" core for our working collections, on the grounds that sometimes
-- perhaps even more often than not -- it can actually be more difficult
_not_ to include things than to include them.  My colleagues and I felt
that the practical differences between full and core records were so
minimal that the time needed to learn and internalize such a standard would
largely be misspent.  It dredges up the old line (attributed, by everyone
in the world, to everyone else in the world), "I didn't have time to make
it short."  I can't speak to the usefulness of DCRB core specifically, but
Jain's and Bob's comments on its history have been very enlightening.

In any case, I agree that requiring the 505 seems bizarre.

But I agree with Beth and any others who insist the thesis note is
important, even in a core record; I would argue that it belongs, if
possible, in even the most minimal record.  Although there are fixed field
bytes we use to code a work as a thesis, I still think giving users a
reliable way to
1) identify theses as such via the description, even when they've been
reproduced or republished, and
2) use keyword or dedicated-noteword ways to find such things, is very
valuable.

Because it resides in a dedicated tag, the thesis note can easily be pulled
into its own noteword (or other) index.  I think it's very telling that,
far from being lumped in with 1.7B1, the dissertation note is among the
most, if not the most, heavily "structured" note in chapter 1 of AACR2.  I
don't know why the editors of AACR2 attached such value to it, but at MIT
it is highly useful for identifying an important class of materials.

Perhaps I should put it this way: in _not_ identifying a work as a thesis,
we withhold information that may be crucial to the person reading the
surrogate.  Most things that are theses say so, in a prominent place.  If
we don't include thesis information in a tag dedicated to that purpose,
then presumably we put it someplace where it doesn't belong, or we simply
leave it off the record.  How do we justify that, even in a core record?

Stephen