[DCRM-L] Area 8 & Appendix A comments

Mon Oct 2 18:20:23 MDT 2006

Points taken on "nontextual." The problem with the added sentence is
being clear about what exactly we're saying with A7. The main thing we
want to get across is that records for nonmonographic book formats
cannot be coded dcrmb even if they have been cataloged according to an
adapted standard. This suggests that we don't mind if you adapt DCRM(B)
for other formats, just don't apply the coding. Then we tell people to
use any existing component manuals instead, which makes it sound as if
we don't want them adapting DCRM(B) for other formats. What I'm looking
for is a way to recommend other DCRM manuals without making it a
command.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee
http://www.folger.edu/bsc/index.html
Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu || 202.675-0369 || http://www.folger.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On
Behalf Of Robert Maxwell
Sent: 02 October 2006 18:15
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: RE: [DCRM-L] Area 8 & Appendix A comments

I agree that "Nontextual" doesn't work. I realize "nonbook" is
problematic as well--rare serials are in fact "books" as are some scores
and maps (e.g. atlases); for that matter, since sheets are counted as
"books", since they are cataloged under dcrm(b), that would mean that
sheet music and sheet maps are also "books" so far as format of ink on
paper goes. I don't think we need to tie ourselves into knots over this,
though. I prefer "nonbook" to "nontextual", especially since we also
give a list of examples of what we mean by "nonbook." I do not think the
language will be misunderstood. If we really are worried about "nonbook"
we could word it as follows:

A7. Nonbook Other formats

Do not apply the code "dcrmb" to records for nonbook materials such as
serials, maps, music, manuscripts and graphics even though they may have
been cataloged according to an adapted, "DCRM(B)-like" standard.
Instead, use a DCRM component manual for the format being described, if
one exists.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian
Genre/Form Authorities Librarian
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602