[DCRM-L] Area 4 comments

Mon Oct 2 20:05:13 MDT 2006

More below.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee
http://www.folger.edu/bsc/index.html
Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu || 202.675-0369 || http://www.folger.edu

	-----Original Message-----
	From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu
[mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of James Stephenson
	Sent: 20 September 2006 12:45
	To: DCRM Revision Group List
	Subject: RE: [DCRM-L] Area 4 comments

	Deborah--

	> The final example following rule 4A6.1:  Shouldn't the name be
		transcribed as "Chas. Ellms" instead of "Cha's Ellms"
(despite
	what
		might be on the title-page)?[DJL]  No, not according to
0G3.2.

	But that rule addresses cases where omission or inclusion does
not lead
	to ambiguity of meaning. It's clear from the examples that we're
	transcribing the possessive forms of "Uncle Wiggly" and
"Scotland," even
	if the apostrophe is not present.  In 4A61, we're not
transcribing the
possessive form of "Cha."[DJL]  It's exactly the opposite. The rule
explicitly says not to mess with apostrophes; neither omit them if
present nor add them if not present. 0G3.2 does not address the issue of
possessives at all; it only addresses the presence or absence of
apostrophes. Would it be more helpful if we could find an example of an
apostrophe in the source where it doesn't belong? (If we can at this
late stage ...)

0G3.2. Apostrophes. Transcribe apostrophes as found. Do not supply
apostrophes not present in the source.
		Uncle Wiggly's picture book

		Scotlands speech to her sons

	It seems that the use of an apostrophe in the example to 4A61 is
	consistent with treatment called for in LCRI 1.0E, especially
the
	section on superscript characters.  Following those rules the
common
	Italian abbreviation "Serenis.mo" will be transcribed as
"Serenismo."
	when "mo" part is superscript (and, by implication, when it
isn't).
	Ditto the observation with "no 4," where the "o" is probably a
	superscript character on the source.

		Jim Stephenson
		Getty Research Institute