[DCRM-L] Area 6 comments

Wed Oct 4 20:16:28 MDT 2006

Thanks, Jim and Randy (I'm responding to both)

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee
http://www.folger.edu/bsc/index.html
Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu || 202.675-0369 || http://www.folger.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On
Behalf Of Randal Brandt
Sent: 11 September 2006 13:56
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Area 6 comments

I also have proofread Area 6. Since Jim did such a careful job, he
already caught most of the same things I did. So, I'll simply respond to
his message with my comments.
Randy

At 01:35 PM 9/8/2006, you wrote:

Some of these comments go a bit beyond the proofing request. Ignore if
desired.

 -  Jim.

RSB: Contents: This might be something that gets taken care of in the
formatting for final printing stage, but a tab added between the area
number and the text would make the text line up better. Obviously, this
applies to the entire document.

p. 111:
 - 6A1. Add boldface: "6A1. Prescribed punctuation"[DJL]  Fixed

RSB: 6A1. Check. Also, might you consider adding the word "series" to
the 4th and 5th instructions? (Precede each parallel series title by an
equals sign; Precede other series title information by a colon)[DJL]
While I agree it would be better, I hesitate to do that. We've taken the
wording directly from AACR2 1.6. Granted, we have departed in other
cases from the exact wording used in AACR2 when we think our wording is
clearer. Other opinions on whether we should improve on AACR2 in this
way are welcomed.

p. 113:
 - 6A2.6.  Add under example, to parallel treatment of 6G2 example :
"(Editorial comment: Providing the Mosher information is optional)" ?

RSB: I don't see 6A2.6 and 6G2 as parallel. 6A2.6 is already optional;
adding the editorial comment would be redundant. The point of 6G2 is
transcribing the number; adding the citation for the series is the
optional part. [DJL] Nor do I think they're suited to parallel treatment
because 6A2.6 is saying that the entire note is optional, while I read
6G2 as saying that any extra information about what series it actually
belongs to (i.e., only the latter part of the note) is optional.
However, it does point up some fuzziness about what we mean by
"Providing the BAL information is optional." Do we mean that the
reference to BAL is optional, or everything after the semi-colon?  I
propose changing the editorial comment to read: (Editorial comment:
Making a note on the number is mandatory; providing the additional
information from BAL is optional)
However, I do wonder if putting the quotes around the series name
shouldn't be consistent in the 2 examples. Should the example in 6A2.6
have quotes (Issued as no. 14 in the "Brocade series." ...) or should
the quotes be removed from the 6G2 example?[DJL]  The quotes should
probably be removed from 6G2, since transcribed series titles are
treated as any other titles. Let me confirm with the other editors.

 - 6B1. Might 6B1 be taken as contradicting 6A2? If so, perhaps change
to: "...according to the general rules 0B, 0E$B!>(B0G". If not, ignore
this comment.

RSB: I don't think these rules are contradictory. 6A2 deals with the
prescribed source; 6B1 is about transcription. I think it is fine as
is.[DJL]  Me too.

 - 6C1. Delete sentence "Precede each parallel series title by an equals
sign." This is redundant of 6A, and no equivalent appears in the 1C1
rule for parallelism.

RSB: I agree.[DJL]  Me too.

p. 114:
 - 6E1. Move final sentence above example, to parallel treatment in
6G1.1: "However, if the statement of responsibility is grammatically
inseparable from the series title, see 6B2."

RSB: Or, move the final sentence of 6G1.1 to follow the example. Either
way works for me, but I think they should be the same in both
paragraphs.[DJL]  I don't have a strong opinion, but do have a
preference for avoiding unnumbered paragraphs as much as possible, so I
changed 6E1 to match 6G1.1: "However, if the statement ...."

 -  Also, add a sentence to 6E1 to echo 4B6.4 to the effect: "Do not
also transpose and transcribe a statement of responsibility if it must
be recorded as a grammatically inseparable part of the series title." ?

RSB: I think 6E1 is fine as is. [DJL] I do too. Area 4 is so messy, it
needs extra and more explicit instruction, but the statement referring
catalogers to 6B2 if there is a grammatically inseparable S.of R. is
fully sufficient for area 6.

p. 115:
- 6G1.1. To echo 4B6.4, add "Do not also transpose and transcribe series
numbering if it must be recorded as a grammatically inseparable part of
the series title." ?

RSB: I think 6G1.1 is fine as is, but add a period after the
number.[DJL]  Fixed

- 6G3.1. Remove boldface: "If there are parallel series titles (see 6C)
and the series numbering also appears in more than one language or
script, transcribe each number after the series title to which it
relates (following any other title information or any statement of
responsibility associated with the title)."

RSB: Check.[DJL] Fixed

Finally, a question: I wonder if App. F should include some mention of
series tracing? Not my section but I'd be happy to try to draft
something to pull Area 6 into App. F if it seems appropriate at this
late date.

RSB: I think this might be a good idea, if it is possible to add it. It
would be especially useful for items that fall under 6A2.6. I've
actually been working on some items recently that are part of a series
but were issued without the series statement. The note is fine, but
without the series tracing, they are still very difficult to find in the
catalog. [DJL] Let me see if I can work something in.

Randal Brandt
Principal Cataloger
The Bancroft Library
(510) 643-2275