[DCRM-L] Area 6

Sun Oct 8 15:15:14 MDT 2006

Thanks, Larry. Specific responses below.
Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee
http://www.folger.edu/bsc/index.html
Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu || 202.675-0369 || http://www.folger.edu

	-----Original Message-----
	From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu
[mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Laurence Creider
	Sent: 13 September 2006 12:15
	To: DCRM Revision Group List
	Subject: [DCRM-L] Area 6

	Comments in addition to those already made:

	The editorial checklist says to omit the comma before "if
desired" at the
	end of a sentence.  In area 6, the phrase is most often "if
considered
	important."  Should the comma be deleted prior to this phrase as
well?  I
	have to admit that I do not see the purpose for a comma here,
but then
	punctuation is not my strongest point.  If the commas should be
deleted,
	they appear in 6A2.3 (end of clause), 6A2.6, 6.C2, 6D2, 6E2.3,
6G2, 6G3.3,
	6H3, and n. 15 to 6A2.1.[DJL] I interpret commas to be required
acc. to Chicago 15th, 6.36, since they are non-restrictive dependent
clauses following the main clause. In case of doubt, it says, use a
comma to indicate a pause.

	6A2.3, the statement in the rule "if it differs" is meaningless.
I think
	you mean "if the two differ" or "if it differs from the
statement on the
	series title page."[DJL]  Agree. Changed to " ...if the two
differ."

	6E.1 in the sentence: "If the statement of responsibility does
not appear
	in this position in the source, transpose it as needed," the
antecedent of
	"it" could easily (if nonsensically) be construed to be
"source." How
	about "transpose the statement as needed?"[DJL] By eliminating
the "it," we end up without an ambiguous antecedent. How about "If the
statement of responsibility does not appear in this position in the
source, transpose as needed" or "... transpose as appropriate."

	6F, example, is there only one space following the comma and
preceding the
	ISSN?[DJL]  Yes. We use monospace in examples because they are
more precise than [the opposite of monospace], but sometimes monospace
can be deceptive, as here where the extra room given to the comma in the
font makes the space following seem larger than it actually is.

	Someone else may have mentioned it earlier, but the text
following
	the designation 6G3.2 needs to be "unbolded."[DJL] Fixed.

	Larry

	Laurence S. Creider, Ph.D., M.S.L.S.
	Head, General Cataloging Unit
	New Mexico State University