[DCRM-L] RE: DCRM(B) final close reading - Area 5

Sun Oct 8 14:42:47 MDT 2006

Thanks, Carol. More below.
Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee
http://www.folger.edu/bsc/index.html
Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu || 202.675-0369 || http://www.folger.edu

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Carol Fink [mailto:cfink2 at michigan.gov]
	Sent: 13 September 2006 15:52
	To: Deborah J. Leslie
	Subject: DCRM(B) final close reading - Area 5

	Deborah,
	As you know, I'm pretty much a rookie about cataloging rare
materials.
	I'm a bit confused about transcribe vs. record. If I'm off track
about
	which is which, please disregard 5B1.2, 5B1.3 no. 2, 5B1.4,
5D1.3 and
	5D1.1-5E1.2. There is a second comment about 5D2, though.[DJL]
Area 5 is a place where the verb "record" is used intentionally.
"Transcribe" is reserved for transcribing text, while "record" is used
when, by following precise rules, two catalogers will arrive at the same
result. I've copied the items in the editorial checklist that address
this:
[DJL]
	-prefer "transcribe" over "record" if indicating transcription
	-"record" and "give" both okay if not indicating transcription,
but prefer "record" if taking information from the item itself,
especially if another cataloger would come up with the same result (e.g.
pagination)

	"5A1. Prescribed information" not bold[DJL] . Fixed

	"5A2. Sources of information" not bold[DJL]  Fixed.

	5B1.2 "Record the complete number ..." change to "Transcribe the
	complete number..."?

	5B1.3   no. 1 "When the pages..."  could be "If the pages
..."[DJL]  Yes; changed
	            no. 2  Several instances of "record" when should be
	"transcribe"?

	5B1.4 Instance of "record" when should be "transcribe"?

	5B3.2 "Consider that numbered sequences include unnumbered ... "
left
	me thinking I had an option here. (Either consider it or not.)
How
	about: "Consider numbered sequences to include unnumbered ... "
if not
	an option?[DJL]  Your suggested wording is much clearer.
Changed.

	[DJL] I've also made a suggestion separately that the second
example needs a "but"

	5B6.4 "If a volume has a pagination of its own ... " does not
need the
	second a. "If a volume has pagination of its own ...? [DJL]
Fixed

	5B14.1 "Add a statement of pagination ..." change to "Record a
	statement of pagination ..."?[DJL]   Hmm. I think it's probably
better as it. The "1 sheet" is the recorded pagination; what the
cataloger is instructed to do is to add extra information to the
recorded pagination.

	5C1.2 Optionally not italicized.[DJL]  Fixed

	5C2.1 Optionally not italicized.[DJL]  Fixed

	Also:  Consider using "Use in alphabetical order one or more
such terms
	as follows..."  instead of "Use in alphabetical order one or
more such
	terms as the following:" [DJL] Your suggested wording seems
slightly clumsier to me; is there a grammatical for your suggestion that
I'm missing?

	5D1.1-5E1.2  Lots of instances of the word "give".  Replace all
with
	"record"? (as noted in Editorial Checklist: Prefer "record" if
taking
	information from the item itself, especially if another
cataloger would
	come up with the same result.) Size, format, and extent would be
the
	same no matter who catalogs the item, right?[DJL]  Yes, you're
right. I'll plan to change them as appropriate to "record" unless I hear
objections.

	5D1.3 "... add the bibliographical format ... change to: "Supply
the
	bibliographical format ..."?

	5D1. Height and format
	Instead of "Give the height ..." use "Supply the height..."?

	Also: Why state "... in centimeters *exact* to within one
	centimeter..."  when the rules tell the cataloger to round up?
Rounding
	up means it's no longer an exact measurement, doesn't it?

	5D1.3 has two "gives" change to "record"?

	5D2-5E1.2 each have one "give". Change to "record"?

	Also, for 5D2: What does a cataloger do about items less than 10
cm
	high but wider than 10 cm? Are both measurements recorded in mm
or is
	one cm and the other mm? Could we have an example for that?

	I've only sent these to you because I don't really want to
broadcast my
	ignorance about rare cataloging.  The Glossary is forthcoming.
	Carol