[DCRM-L] Area 6 comments

Randal Brandt rbrandt at library.berkeley.edu
Mon Sep 11 11:55:48 MDT 2006

I also have proofread Area 6. Since Jim did such a careful job, he already
caught most of the same things I did. So, I'll simply respond to his
message with my comments.
Randy

At 01:35 PM 9/8/2006, you wrote:
>Some of these comments go a bit beyond the proofing request. Ignore if
>desired.
>
>  -  Jim.

RSB: Contents: This might be something that gets taken care of in the
formatting for final printing stage, but a tab added between the area
number and the text would make the text line up better. Obviously, this
applies to the entire document.

>p. 111:
>  - 6A1. Add boldface: "6A1. Prescribed punctuation"

RSB: 6A1. Check. Also, might you consider adding the word "series" to the
4th and 5th instructions? (Precede each parallel series title by an equals
sign; Precede other series title information by a colon)

>p. 113:
>  - 6A2.6.  Add under example, to parallel treatment of 6G2 example :
> "(Editorial comment: Providing the Mosher information is optional)" ?

RSB: I don't see 6A2.6 and 6G2 as parallel. 6A2.6 is already optional;
adding the editorial comment would be redundant. The point of 6G2 is
transcribing the number; adding the citation for the series is the optional
part. However, I do wonder if putting the quotes around the series name
shouldn't be consistent in the 2 examples. Should the example in 6A2.6 have
quotes (Issued as no. 14 in the "Brocade series." ...) or should the quotes
be removed from the 6G2 example?

>  - 6B1. Might 6B1 be taken as contradicting 6A2? If so, perhaps change
> to: "...according to the general rules 0B, 0E$B!>(B0G". If not, ignore
> this comment.

RSB: I don't think these rules are contradictory. 6A2 deals with the
prescribed source; 6B1 is about transcription. I think it is fine as is.

>  - 6C1. Delete sentence "Precede each parallel series title by an equals
> sign." This is redundant of 6A, and no equivalent appears in the 1C1 rule
> for parallelism.

RSB: I agree.

>p. 114:
>  - 6E1. Move final sentence above example, to parallel treatment in
> 6G1.1: "However, if the statement of responsibility is grammatically
> inseparable from the series title, see 6B2."

RSB: Or, move the final sentence of 6G1.1 to follow the example. Either way
works for me, but I think they should be the same in both paragraphs.

>  -  Also, add a sentence to 6E1 to echo 4B6.4 to the effect: "Do not also
> transpose and transcribe a statement of responsibility if it must be
> recorded as a grammatically inseparable part of the series title." ?

RSB: I think 6E1 is fine as is.

>p. 115:
>- 6G1.1. To echo 4B6.4, add "Do not also transpose and transcribe series
>numbering if it must be recorded as a grammatically inseparable part of
>the series title." ?

RSB: I think 6G1.1 is fine as is, but add a period after the number.

>- 6G3.1. Remove boldface: "If there are parallel series titles (see 6C)
>and the series numbering also appears in more than one language or script,
>transcribe each number after the series title to which it relates
>(following any other title information or any statement of responsibility
>associated with the title)."

RSB: Check.

>Finally, a question: I wonder if App. F should include some mention of
>series tracing? Not my section but I'd be happy to try to draft something
>to pull Area 6 into App. F if it seems appropriate at this late date.

RSB: I think this might be a good idea, if it is possible to add it. It
would be especially useful for items that fall under 6A2.6. I've actually
been working on some items recently that are part of a series but were
issued without the series statement. The note is fine, but without the
series tracing, they are still very difficult to find in the catalog.

Randal Brandt
Principal Cataloger
The Bancroft Library
(510) 643-2275