[DCRM-L] Introduction comments

Tue Sep 12 19:47:23 MDT 2006

Thanks, Ryan; specific responses below.

By the way, don't look for the fixed in the posted version; I am making
them to the master draft.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee
http://www.folger.edu/bsc/index.html
Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu || 202.675-0369 || http://www.folger.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On
Behalf Of Ryan Hildebrand
Sent: 08 September 2006 19:10
To: dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu
Subject: [DCRM-L] Introduction comments

Proofreading comments for Introduction.

The editorial checklist states "use AACR 2" not "AACR2." Is this a
mistake? I see only the latter in the document. [DJL] You're right; the
reverse is true.

Page 9
In contents list, delete extra space preceding "Acronyms."
"Intro 1.1" should be "Intro 1.1." (add final period). [DJL] Fixed

Page 10, Intro 2.1.
Closing parenthesis of ISBD(A) should not be italicized.[DJL]  Fixed

Page 11, Intro 3.1.1.
[The following comment already sent out to DCRM-L.] The Introduction
speaks of users' ability to "distinguish clearly among different
manifestations of an expression or work" (see Intro 3.1.1. and following
paragraph, and 3.2.2.). I'm not exactly sure what we are trying to say
here, or how we mean this to be interpreted. In common parlance we often
speak of a manifestation of a work with the expression implied, but is
it not physically impossible to have manifestation of a work, without
the expression, as the sentence suggests? What would be the difference
between a manifestation of an expression vs. the manifestation of a
work? Should the wording be changed to "Users are able to distinguish
clearly among different manifestations of an expression of a work"?[DJL]
Addressed separately

Page 12, Intro 3.1.2.
"(e.g., consultation from a distance, limited access due to the fragile
condition of the item, inability to physically browse collections housed
in restricted areas)." Insert "or" before "inability" or ", etc."
following "areas."[DJL]  Ok; chose the latter

Page 13, Intro 3.2.2.
2nd sentence: "(the title and statement of responsibility area, the
edition area, the publication, distribution, etc., area, and the series
area)..." Delete comma following "etc." [DJL] Fixed

Page 16, Intro 6. The entire sentence is italicized. Italicize the
titles only. [DJL] Fixed

Page 16, Intro 8.2. In first sentence, "area 7" should be "Area 7."
Also, the reference "(see 7.A15)" should be "(see 7A1.5)."[DJL] Both
fixed

Page 18, Intro 9. In last sentence, replace "cataloging record" with
"bibliographic record."[DJL]  Fixed

Best,
Ryan

--
Ryan Hildebrand, Special Collections and Archives Cataloger
UCI Libraries, P.O. Box 19557