[DCRM-L] Area 1 DCRM(B)

Ann W. Copeland auc1 at psulias.psu.edu
Thu Sep 14 14:21:01 MDT 2006

Additional comments on Area 1

My impression was that for this area, information
taken from other than the title page would be put
in a note, rather than transcribed in brackets.
Please forgive me if I am wrong, or if the
distinction was made between outside the title
page and outside the publication. Or if we were
just favoring notes over brackets, in which case
these can all stand. The next three comments relate to this question.

1A2.1 General rule: "Enclose information taken
from any other source in square brackets and
indicate its source in a note." This seems to
conflict with rules 1C1, 1D1 and 1E2 which
instruct to transcribe information not on the
title page in a note, giving the source - ie. no
option to transcribe and bracket. Should the general rule stand?

1E2: If a statement of responsibility appears on
a source other than the title page, or is taken
from outside the publication, record the statement and its source in a note -
1E6: last sentence and example: If statements of
responsibility appear in sources other than the
title page, also transcribe them in the order
that makes the most sense. example: El Fuero real
de España / diligentemente hecho por el noble Rey
don Alonso noveno ; glossado por Alonso Díaz de Montalvo ...
  -Do we mean transcribe in a note as they
appear? Or transcribe in the statement of
responsibility? If we mean the latter, it is
contrary to 1E2. But if we do allow this, we
should specify "transcribe in brackets" in the
order that makes the most sense.

Another instance is 1F2.1, last sentence: Adding
titles of works on different sources: If the
publication has no collective title, and works
additional to those named on the title page
appear in the publication, whether or not on
special added title pages, either transcribe the
titles of such works according to the provisions
of 1F1, and place them in square brackets, or give them in a note (see 7B16). ?

other possible changes:

1C1. second sentence "If an original title" - prefer "If the original title" -

1D4. I think the final reference should be to 1D2.3 rather than 1D2.

  Thanks, Annie

”

”