[DCRM-L] Area 7 comments

Windy Lundy windy.lundy at colorado.edu
Tue Sep 19 22:46:39 MDT 2006

Following are a few additional comments on Area 7.  I have tried not to say
what Ryan and Joe have already noted.

7B6: "Make notes to convey the following information:"  This instruction
seems unnecessary.  Other rules do not have such a statement between the
rule caption and the sub rule, whether or not the sub rule itself has a
caption, e.g., 7B4 or 7B9.

7B6.5, 2nd example:  a question: could the example be phrased differently so
that the equal sign is not used?  Even in a note, the use of the equal sign
makes me think there is a a parallel title involved.  Suggest either to
replace "=" with "is" or to substitute the following: "By Charles Pigott,
the author of The virtues of nature."

7B7.2, immediately before examples at top of p. 126: suggest delete colon in
"'References:' note."  See usage without colon ("'References' note") on p.
119 in rule 7A1.3 and see my comments below for rule 7B18.

7B9.3, 2nd example:  "or" should be left justified so that "Signatures:" is
indented at the same indention as the 1st example.

7B9.7, last example: for "(in Hebrew chracters)" read "(in Hebrew
characters)"

7B18.  "With:" notes.  I agree with Ryan's comment, "Page 139, 7B19.3.4
gives the instruction, 'Preface the note with the words "Bound with"
followed by a colon,' while in 7B18 the colon for 'With:' notes is indicated
only implicitly. Should the instructions be harmonized? I prefer for both
intellectual and typographical clarity the instruction given in 7B19.3.4."
I too suggest that rule 7B18 make explicit the instruction to begin the note
with the word "With" followed by a colon.  "'With:' notes" is the phrase
used as the caption of DCRB 7C19, but the "Bound with" instance in DCRM(B)
7B19.3.4 seems clearer to me and is supported by similar instructions to
begin notes with "Signatures" (7B9.1) and "References" (7B14.1) and a colon.
AACR2 2.7B21 uses the caption "'With' notes."  If the editors agree, then
the caption of 7B18 would read "'With' notes" and the first sentence of
7B18.1 could end "make a note beginning with the word 'With' followed by a
colon."  Such wording would take care of the problem Ryan noted about the
final punctuation of the sentence ending with "With:"

7B19.1c: should "'bound with' notes" be "'Bound with' notes"?

I hope these comments are helpful.

Windy

****************
M. Winslow Lundy
Assistant Professor
Head of Monographic Cataloging
Cataloging & Metadata Services Department
University of Colorado at Boulder Libraries
184 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309
phone: 303-492-3918
fax: 303-492-0494