[DCRM-L] Quoted notes was Area 2 comments

Wed Sep 20 13:25:29 MDT 2006

Pretty persuasive, I think. And taking it for granted that Manon didn't
neglect to copy counter-examples, I find myself converted.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee
Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu <mailto:djleslie at folger.edu>   |  202.675-0369  |
http://www.folger.edu <http://www.folger.edu>

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On
Behalf Of Manon Theroux
Sent: Wednesday, 20 September, 2006 15:18
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: RE: [DCRM-L] Quoted notes was Area 2 comments

I've made the distinction between these two types of notes for many
years and, obviously, I agree with Randy's assessment that changing the
note as has been suggested would imply that the phrase itself appeared
over a span of pages.

I've included snippets from various cataloging standards and guidelines
below, in the hopes that it will help to resolve the issue (which I
never imagined would be so controversial!)

-Manon

====================================
CONTENTS NOTES:

MARC21, under 505$a:
500 ## $a"Table of statutes and regulations": p. xvii-xxv.
[Unformatted content note recorded in field 500.]

MARC21, under 504$a:
504 ## $a"Selected bibliography": v. 1, p. 351-358, v. 2, p. 234-236.

LCRI 2.7B18. "Contents":
500 ## $a "Life cycle of the liver fluke": leaves 75-89.
500 ## $a "Types of prayer wheels found in south central Tibet, by Mei
Lin": p. [310]-[375].

DCRB, 7C16 "Contents":
"List of the author's unpublished poems": p. 151-158

Finally, in the book "Notes in the catalog record" by Jerry Saye and
Sherry Vellucci, see the *many* examples in the two sections on the use
of quoted titles in informal contents notes (p. 398 and p. 400).

QUOTATION NOTES:

MARC21, under 500$a:
500 ## $a"The first American Jewish weekly of its kind"--The Jewish
encyclopedia, v. 8.

AACR2, 1.7 "Quotations":
"A textbook for 6th form students"-Pref.
"Generally considered to be by William Langland"-Oxford companion to
English literature

DCRB, 7B3 Form of notes, "Quotations"
"Generally considered to be by William Langland"--Harvey, P. Oxford
companion to Engl. lit.
"The principal additional music, contained in 72 pages, may be had, half
bound, with or without the rules, price four shillings and
ninepence"--Pref.

Many other examples are scattered throughout various rules....