[DCRM-L] Area 0 comments

Eileen Smith e.smith at yale.edu
Wed Sep 20 16:59:17 MDT 2006

In addition to comments by Stephen and Nina, here's my two cents
worth of comments and a couple of questions.

In 0G1.1, footnote 5, 0G3.3, 0G7.2, and 0G8.2:
Is it really necessary to have such a lengthy reference when there is
a "see" note to an Appendix -- e.g., "see Appendix G. section G2"?
Consider simplifying this to, e.g., "see Appendix G2".
This would be consistent with 0A3 where it simply states "see Intro
9", not "see Introduction, section 9". Also, in the text it doesn't
say "see Area 0, section 0G3.3", but simply "see 0G3.3". I believe
the Appendix "see" notes still would be clear in a more concise style.

"On source" and "Transcription" and "On title page" should be
italicized in the following sections:
0F2.1, 0G2.2, 0G2.3, 0G3.1, 0G3.3, 0G3.6, 0G3.7
"On title page" should be italicized in:
0G4.1 (Or should this also read: "On source"?)

0A1: change AACR2 to AACR 2

0A3: change "may either be" to "either may be" (which then nicely
parallels the following clause "... or may be")
0A3: change AACR2 to AACR 2

0A4: change AACR2 to AACR 2

0C1.2: change "see 7B3" to "see 7B3.1"

0C2: delete periods from end of 'bullets', to correspond with
practice elsewhere (e.g., 0C3 and 0F1.1). (If you want to have
punctuation there, use a semi-colon -- or is this a style-sheet thing?)

0G1.2: add "(see Appendix G2)" at end.
I realize that it refers to Appendix G2 in the middle of 0G1.1, but
if one is checking specifically about symbols and not diacritics,
it's easy to miss the 'see' note.

0G2: change AACR2 to AACR 2

0G3.7: Consider moving '"Optional note: Clara ..." to the end of the
section, following "... note, if considered important" which is where
it fits as an example

0G4.3: Footnote 7 could also apply to this instruction, as well as to
0G4.2 where it is linked. Can one use a footnote twice?

0G8.2: Should there be a footnote about providing additional title
access if this occurs within the first five words and the marks of
contraction can be reproduced, similar to footnotes 4-10?

Let me add my voice to those who already have expressed admiration
and much gratitude to the editors of DCRM(B). You've made an
essential tool clearer and even more useful. We are in your debt.
els

Eileen L. Smith
Rare Book Team, SML
Yale University Library
P.O. Box 208240,   New Haven, CT  06520-8240
Telephone: 203-432-8383 ; Fax: 203-432-7231
Email: e.smith at yale.edu