[DCRM-L] Introduction comments

Manon Theroux manon.theroux at yale.edu
Wed Sep 20 16:15:49 MDT 2006

>9. On p. 20: Fourth paragraph, beginning, "Although treatment of
>headings..." Re. Full-level cataloging: "The name headings need not be
>established using authority records, although full authority work will
>generally result in greater consistency of headings and improved access."
>This in contrast to the Core-level which states that headings must be
>established in the LC/NACO and SACO files.

>[DJL]: Sorry Nina, I’m missing your point.

>[NS]: The point here is that Core-level records and Full-level records require
>full authority work. The sentence in this fourth paragraph states, "The
>name headings need not be established using authority records, although
>full authority work will generally result in greater consistency of
>headings and improved access." This makes it sound as if any authority work
>is optional in Full-level records, which is not true. I would suggest
>either changing this sentence to requre authority work or deleting it
>altogether.

[MT]: Creating authority records for headings in
full-level records isn't a requirement, as far as
I know. If anyone can point to something that
says otherwise, please do! I think the only time
we're *required* to back up headings with
authority records is in PCC core-level records
(and even then you can weasel out of creating a
series authority record by transcribing the
series as "untraced" if you want to!).

Manon Théroux
Authority Control Librarian
Catalog Department