[DCRM-L] Introduction comments

Thu Sep 21 13:30:28 MDT 2006

Possibly because the definition of core-level cataloging is a BIBCO endeavor, is it not, whereas full-level cataloging did not originate with PCC. Therefore, mention of BIBCO requirements make sense in the section on core, but not necessarily in the section on full.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee
http://www.folger.edu/bsc/index.html
Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu || 202.675-0369 || http://www.folger.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Manon Theroux
Sent: 21 September 2006 15:26
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: RE: [DCRM-L] Introduction comments

You're right, Nina, at least for PCC full-level
records. The BIBCO Manual seems pretty clear
about it. I'm so glad you spoke up.

So, in the full-level section of the Intro, we need to strike:

"The name headings need not be established using
authority records, although full authority work
will generally result in greater consistency of headings and improved access."

And I suggest we include the following somewhere in that paragraph:

"If an institution is a BIBCO participant,
contributing full-level records as part of the
Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC), all
headings must be established in the LC/NACO and LC/SACO Authority Files."

to parallel the text in the core-level section.

Now I wonder what led me/us to think the way we
did. This text has been in the Pre-Cataloging
Decisions section for a long time!

-Manon