[DCRM-L] Introduction comments

Fletcher, Jain jfletchr at library.ucla.edu
Thu Sep 21 14:22:39 MDT 2006

Hi, Jane,

   My guess is that you hadn't seen my response to this issue yet, where
I reminded people that "core" can indeed be entered by non-PCC
libraries.  But your comment gave me pause and I decided to check the
guidance in OCLC's Bibliographic Formats and Standards for entering a
"4" ("core") in the FF Encoding level byte. Here it is:

            "Core-level. A record that is less-than-full, but
greater-than-minimal-level cataloging and that meets core record
standards for completeness. Any OCLC participant may enter a Core-level
record as long as Core-level input standards are followed. A Core-level
record that is entered by a library participating in PCC through BIBCO
or CONSER will contain an authentication code in field 042."

BTW, following "core-level input standards" here means ensuring that it
meets those standards for completeness NOT that they follow the PCC
requirement for authorized headings.  Another way of putting this is
that it is the "pcc" in the 042 that is the guarantee that access points
are authorized, and not the Encoding Level.code relating to its
completeness.

--Jain

Jain Fletcher
Principal Cataloger & Head, Technical Services Division
Department of Special Collections
Young Research Library - UCLA Box 951575
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575

v: (310) 794-4096
f: (310) 206-1864
e: jfletchr at library.ucla.edu <mailto:jfletchr at library.ucla.edu>