[DCRM-L] RE: Area 4

Sat Sep 30 10:43:58 MDT 2006

Thanks, Carol. Responses below.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee
http://www.folger.edu/bsc/index.html
Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu || 202.675-0369 || http://www.folger.edu

	-----Original Message-----
	From: cep2 at columbia.edu [mailto:cep2 at columbia.edu]
	Sent: 22 September 2006 12:22
	To: Deborah J. Leslie
	Subject: Area 4

	Deborah--My queries, corrections, etc.

	I suppose it is too late to change text but if it were possible
to change
	" ... too numerous and that some may be omitted ... " to " ...
too
	numerous to transcribe fully and that some may be omitted ... "
in 4B6.2,
	in 4B13.2 and 4C6.2, it would be useful and the rule would be
easier to
	follow.[DJL]  I don't see the necessity of this addition, but
since others may agree with you that it make the rules easier to follow,
I've tentatively added "for full transcription" after "numerous." I'd
like to hear comments in support or against this change.

	4C5 header should be amended to mimic 4B9 "Publisher statements
fictitious
	or incorrect" should read "Publisher statements that are
fictitious or
	incorrect"[DJL]  Good catch! I changed both of these captions to
begin "Fictitious or iincorrect ..."

	4C10 In the editorial comment, is there any way to check whether
the
	transcription should read "ces" as it does here or "cens" as it
does in
	a similar record in OCLC? (Search under keywords Symon Vostre
and date 1500
	to retrieve the variant in question.)[DJL]  The "cens" must be
in error. "Ces presentes heures a lusage de ...", with some variation on
spelling of "l'usage",  is a standard phrase for French books of hours.

	4D header reads "Date of publication ...." while the header for
4D3 reads
	"Dates of publication ... " Should they be consistent?[DJL]  You
bet. 4D3, 4D4, 4D5, 4D7, 4D8. Changed "Dates" in caption to "Date".
Search of AACR2 confirmed that while both forms ("date of publication"
and "dates of publication") are used, the singular  is much more common,
even in chapter 12, unless discussing situations explicitly involving
two or more dates. I couldn't find any examples of the plural used in a
caption.
	Again 4E header reads "Place of manufacture" while the header
for 4E2
	reads "Supplied places of manufacture" and the text begins "If
the place
	of manufacture ... " Should the form be consistent?[DJL]
Changed. Also in 4E2, I assume
	that there is no period at the end of "Tullis Russell & Co" but
I can't
	prove it.[DJL]  Added, per 0G3.1

	Carol Pardo